Monday, December 5, 2011

All American Muslim

Disclaimer: I have not seen a single episode of this show because I don't have cable and because, even when I did, TLC was a little sensational for me.

That said, I have a few comments. I've been reading a lot about this show. I've seen article in the NYT, Jezebel, and several Muslim American Publications. Most of them are scornful, either of religion, reality TV, or the portrayal of Muslims.

One thing I don't like is that many people are reacting to this portrayal of Muslims and Islam as if it is the way all Muslims interpret Islam. For example, there was a recent episode in which a member of the cast apparently re-instituted her headscarf in hopes of getting closer to god and thereby, overcoming infertility. Hijab is not the only way for a woman to get closer to god. I don't think I have to mention that infertility is not the only reason a woman would want to be closer to god, but there, I did just in case anyone thinks Islam advocates that. Hijab is a complex question. And before it can be answered, we have to think about why hijab in particular might be thought to bring a woman closer to god.

However, what I do like is that the show is almost a caricature of Western portrayals of Islam. Though most of the criticism on this point come from Muslim Americans, others will eventually also realize that this TV show is all about the Western portrayal of Islam and is an example of that itself.

So, while I now have to worry that if I resume wearing hijab, everyone will believe it is because I want to get pregnant or because I believe it is the only way to get closer to god, I can also point those beliefs out to be the result of the often laughable portrayals of Islam by Western media.

No comments:

Post a Comment