Sunday, April 8, 2012

My favorite word: Tomato

Lately, I'm all about finding new favorite words. I hear them and they stick in my brain. Maybe it's because I've been doing tons of reading lately. I couldn't really read in college. I will often make the excuse that I was too busy reading other things but I think I was actually too busy thinking more in depth about the (very) few things I read. Through most of my life, I have gone through phases of reading or thinking excessively. After the drawn out period of thinking that was my undergraduate career, this reading phase has been a long time coming.

With words, I really like words with nice mixtures of hard and soft sounds lately. Copacetic (in excellent order), Trantor (ex-capital planet of the Galactic Empire) and now, "tomato" (common variety).

The word tomato is one you could probably guess I've known for a long time. Like many words, I knew the Bengali word for it before I knew the English one. The word for tomato in Bengali is, however, tomato. Where it makes a difference is that when I think about the word twice, I think it the second time in a Bengali accent. I wish I knew enough linguistics to accurately convey it. Maybe like this: say TOUAWGH meh touawgh. Now say it really fast. Now say it twice as fast as last time. Now say it normal speed with the letters still all squished together. I hope you got it. The 'o' sound in the word get transformed into this wonder vowel I can only express using three English one and 3 consonants to help it out.

Since I intend to keep up the reading, my favorite word will probably change again soon. But I wanted to share this one while it lasts. 

Another old hat I might pick up: reading pop-psychology, specifically in the vein of cognitive-behavioral theory and therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment